What I can expect from therapy?
Many of us enter therapy hoping to get some quick relief from the distress that we are experiencing. We are aware that therapy is costing us a lot in terms of time, money, and energy and we want to see some immediate results, especially when we are in pain. It is important that you talk with me about your expectations and needs from therapy. Just like any relationship, the more you know and can express what you want, the better chance you will have of receiving that. You may be entering therapy for the first time and not have a sense of what needs to happen other than you want to feel better. It is important to express this as well.
Here is a list of what I have seen to be true for many people about therapy:
- It takes time to establish a trusting relationship with a therapist.
- It is important to go at your own pace and not overwhelm yourself.
- We all resist change. Don’t be surprised if you are tempted to quit right before some real changes or breakthroughs are about to happen.
- Becoming more healthy and balanced can feel very unfamiliar and uncomfortable at first.
- Being committed to therapy will change your life. Be prepared to feel some loss from this.
- Others may resist your changes and growth and will need time to adapt.
- Therapy is hard work.